Upper Rideau Lake Association
The Upper Rideau Lake Association (URLA)
is a non-profit volunteer organization of seasonal and permanent residents, holiday lake users, and residents of the village of Westport, interested in promoting and protecting the natural environment of the Upper Rideau. The Association a strong voice to its members in regional bodies governing the lake and participates with other lake associations in projects and alliances.
We are involved in Water quality, Environmental Programs, Fisheries Studies, Monitoring of aquatic vegetation and exotic weed growth, Projects to address nutrient abatement and Research programs that allow us to gain a better understanding of the dynamics of the lake and the source of any pollutants. Other activities are navigational markers, Shoreline restoration, Septic field inspections and our Newsletter. For more information and to join us visit urla.ca
Latest News blog
Sign up to receive links to our latest posts in real time. Find out what is happening around the lake
You can help keep our lake beautiful and save money on exclusive member benefits
Individuals and their families who are members of the URLA receive the FOCA benefits which could save you thousands. Your membership helps keep our lake beautiful through efforts to reduce pollution.
Join or renew now. You do not need to be a lakefront property owner. Membership is open to everyone who cares about our lake. Join or renew your URLA membership online now through our partnership with FOCA: Click here.
Calendars, events, attractions, restaurants, day trips and more.
FOCA Federation of Ontario Cottage Associations acts as an information bridge between policy-makers and property owners on significant issues, including:
The long-term environmental integrity of Ontario’s freshwater resources
Fair property taxation
Effective land use planning
Risk management for volunteer groups
Rural safety and emergency preparedness in the face of extreme weather developments in recent years
Information on heritage walking tours and a selection of historical image
Ideas to keep your kids entertained and interested in nature.
Click the links below for our latest news blogs
- Water monitors are getting a new tool to tackle toxic algae in Lake Winnipeg - Every summer, Canada’s sixth-largest freshwater lake gets choked with toxic algae blooms. The blue-green algae deposits slime on Lake Winnipeg’s shores and sucks oxygen from the water, killing animal life and endangering humans with toxins that can attack the liver or nervous system. …The growth of this bacteria is fed by spikes in phosphorus in … Continue reading Water monitors are getting a new tool to tackle toxic algae in Lake Winnipeg
- All candidates meeting final report - Many good things are happening in the Township of Rideau Lakes. Here is the report on the All candidates meeting held last fall. See the full report here. …the meeting was a success and that URLA’s sponsorship of this event, the only all candidates meeting in Ward 4, was appreciated. Many of the 60 plus … Continue reading All candidates meeting final report
- Early bird discounts for Rideau canal until March 31, 2019! - Rideau canal, Early bird discounts for boaters are here until March 31, 2019! Purchase a Seasonal Lockage Permit and receive 20% off. Purchase a Seasonal Lockage and Mooring Package and receive 20% off the price of lockage and 10% off the price of mooring. Do you love to travel by pleasure boat or canoe? Launch your own adventure along … Continue reading Early bird discounts for Rideau canal until March 31, 2019!
- URLA email update - Click HERE fo an update on the latest things affecting our lake
- Flood Prep 2019 - Flood Prep 2019 It’s that time of the year — we need to get all our flood preparation ducks in a row! RVCA uses stream gauges, weather stations, surveys of snow conditions, meteorological forecasts and computer models to determine the possibility of flooding. With spring melt or severe precipitation, the RVCA estimates the severity, … Continue reading Flood Prep 2019
- Eight of the world’s best canal holidays - London, Mar 3, 2019, Number five is… Unlock the Rideau There are 45 historic, hand-operated locks along Canada’s Rideau Canal, all manned by polite, khaki-clad lock-keepers. After watching them whirl wheels, push gates and swing entire bridges back and forth, sit back and let the idyllic Ontario countryside float by, hopping off occasionally to visit … Continue reading Eight of the world’s best canal holidays
- Ohio city votes to give Lake Erie personhood status over algae blooms - New law will allow people of Toledo to act as legal guardians for Lake Erie, and polluters could be sued to pay for cleanup costs …this week, more than four years after the devastating algae bloom in 2014 that cut off drinking water for 500,000 people, Toledo voters passed the Lake Erie Bill of Rights, … Continue reading Ohio city votes to give Lake Erie personhood status over algae blooms
- Severe weather damage - 2018 Insurance Costs for Extreme Weather file photo As reported recently by Water Canada, the Insurance Bureau of Canada has determined that the cost of severe-weather insured damages in 2018 reached $1.9 billion – the fourth highest on record in Canada. Click to read the Water Canada posting. CottageFirst: the first group program dedicated to cottagers, exclusively … Continue reading Severe weather damage
- Hazardous waste The Orange Drop - Monthly Events Garbage Hazardous waste The Orange Drop program provides Ontario residents with a free, safe and easy way to dispose of household products that require special handling. Fully funded by industry, this network of convenient drop-off sites accepts five materials. The objective of the Orange Drop Program is to recover and recycle, or … Continue reading Hazardous waste The Orange Drop
- Survey results - We received 165 responses to our survey last year. 54% were in favour of stocking the lake with walleye and we have given this information the the Ministry of Natural Resources. It is just one of the factors that will inform their decision. A Fishing derby was the most requested event with 35 people interested. … Continue reading Survey results
—— —————Social Media
Follow us and other social media around the lake.